Friday, November 4, 2011

God-incidence?

About 5 years ago I was at a crossroad. I was in college and so wrapped up in playing soccer I had forgotten I had to actually choose a major. It was the end of my sophomore year and I was confused, stressed, and asking anyone and everyone else what I should do with my life. One thing I knew for certain was I wanted my profession to be my ministry; I wanted to do missions, somehow. My mom kept telling me to do nursing and my good friend Emily was in school for it at UT. I saw how hard it was for someone as smart as her and pretty much counted myself out. Before I said no totally I decided to talk to God about it. Next thing I knew I found myself in the academic advisors office declaring "I want to be a nurse!...kind of. Really, just by default...God's making me." She went on to tell me I'd missed the deadline and all the classes/clinical schedules were already set...BUT if I had an essay into her office by 8am the following day she would meet with the admissions committee and consider accepting me late. Why? Who knows. I guess I looked desperate enough that day. So, I had my essay in at 7:55 am and later received a call I was ACCEPTED! There was no turning back now. She had gone out on a limb for me and this committee must've been in a good mood that day so that was it...I was starting school. First up: A&P I and II that summer at MTSU from 8-5 every.single.day. then I'd go to brentwood for soccer fitness/training. It was exhausting and I was not enthused about the situation, but God wouldn't let me stop. He'd gotten me that far. The next 2.5 years were full of studying, tests, clinicals, injuries, papers, illnesses, practices, surgeries, rehab, games, applications, interviews, etc...everyday I wanted to quit and everyday God reminded me He was my strength and He wouldn't have started me on this path if it wasn't His will for my life. I listened and I trusted, reluctantly.

Now, 5ish years later I'm a nurse, more specifically, I'm a Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Nurse. Whaaat? I've got my dream job even though I didn't know it was my dream job until I got it....I suppose God had an idea I'd enjoy it. As I went through school and then into my job the idea of mission work was always on my mind. My friend Jamie had gone to work at an orphange in Capetown, Africa while we were in school and after hearing about her experience I was set on Africa.

In June I got a facebook message from a couple co-workers asking myself and several others if we were interested in going on a medical mission trip to Kenya, Africa to do cardiac surgeries. My first thought? That sounds great, I've always wanted to buuuut I just can't. It'll be too hard, I'm not smart enough, I don't have enough money, and even though I've always wanted to I don't know if I can actually go through with it. So, I didn't apply. The deadline for the application passed. Then, late one night at work I was talking to my friend Kari who had applied. She worked me over. She showed me pictures of the previous trips and I immediately texted Kristen (NP in charge of going) if it was too late. Again, God extended the deadline for my indecisiveness. I turned in my application the following day thinking I'd officially decide if I'd go later once I was accepted or not. Then I got an email saying I was on the team and were leaving November 4th. I freaked out a little...then I got excited! Again, God knew if I had the opportunity to back out I would've peaced out asap. Touche, God, touche.

Now, after 4 months of preparation I'm about to jump on an 18hour plan ride and head to Kenya.  We have packed anything from soccer balls to toothbrushes to syringes to perfusion equipment into several large 50lbs bags to check. The airline is going to have their hands full with this group! I've packed up some personal items into two carry-ons...lets hope they like doing laundry over there! After 3 flights and one 4 hour ride we will arrive in Tenwek (near Bomat) on Sunday. Monday we will prepare for the first group of patients, teach some of the Tenwek Hospital nurses, and possibly have our first surgery. Tuesday through Friday is full of surgeries. The doctors and nurses will be pulling long shifts in the ICU with the patients and hopefully get just enough sleep in between working. Saturday some of us will be headed off on a safari and hot air balloon ride over the African planes! Trust, I'll have pics.

It's amazing to me to look back at this journey God has taken me on and has mapped out for me. Those were no coincidences; they were God-incidences! I never ever thought I would be a nurse. I never ever thought I'd actually get to go to Africa. I never ever thought God would provide me with finances. I never ever thought I'd receive the amazing amount of support that I have. Next time I say "never" I will be reminded of this time in my life when I truly realized anything is possible with the Lord as my Provider, Comforter, Father, and Motivator(among many things).

Hopefully I'm able to continue blogging while I am there. Please pray for this medical staff as we will endure long long days and remind us we are there to serve our God first and foremost. Pray for the surgeons as they operate on these little hearts, the doctors as the make critical decisions for their care, the perfusionists as they work with our most vital piece of equipment, the nurses as they care for the patients post operatively, and pray our patients have a quick recovery!


THANK YOU for loving me and supporting me. Love you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment