Friday, November 11, 2011

All work, now play!

This week in the unit has come to an end for me. I worked my last day today. I loved it so much I didn't want to leave! This week has been full of contrasts and it has ended on such a happy note. We are seeing the brightest personalities out of our patients. Unfortunately, they do not love the camera as much as we do so it may not come across in pictures! They're so grateful but I don't think they realize how grateful we are of them. Each one of them taught us something. Some are more reserved than others but even the slightest head nod or thumbs up just makes me smile b/c I know they are ok! It's so amazing to hear these families tell us how changed their loved one is. Kip, in particular, was a whole new boy! His parents couldn't stop telling us that! His father kept repeating "strong boy. strong boy!" to me. It's amazing what God is able to do through these surgeons and these doctors to treat them, and each one of them is incredibly compassionate towards each patient. Before each surgery they pray over them and afterwards they are right there in the unit checking on them. Dr. Fingleton(the surgeon) is an awesome man and surgeon. He was very encouraging and supportive of the nursing staff all weekend. It really does make a difference when you know you have the support of your surgeons/doctors.

Today little Kip and Caroline peaced out to the floors b/c they were doing super awesome. I didn't get a chance to visit Caroline again and when I got to go check on Kip I couldn't find him! Word on the street is he's been soaking up some rays as much as possible. Hopefully, I can go see Caroline before I leave tomorrow. I'd love to give her one last hug and pray with her. And I can only hope she's got that turban on while jammin on her flute! I bet the ladies in the ward next to her love it.

The Beaute had a rough day. She seemed more alert this morning and even clapped as if to applaud herself for eating her lunch; however, afterwards, she seemed down. Kristen B and I sat with her for a while. I asked her some questions and didn't get many responses but when I asked if she was sad she responded "yes" and looked down. This hurt my heart. I asked if she wanted to go home and she said "yes" again. She is a long way from home and her family. Please pray for Beauty's spirits to be lifted. Later in the day we sent her to a "step down" type floor b/c we still considered her to be high maintenance though she didn't require ICU treatment. She didn't last very long there. She came back tonight about 9 b/c she was dropping her sats (o2 levels). Turns out her nasal cannula just wasn't hooked up, but it was a blessing in disguise. Mary felt that despite the mishap she just seemed too lethargic and brought her back to be with us. After some discussion we decided to get some labs(we have to get labs very scarcely here) and turns out her pcv was 15 and her hgb was 5. For those of you none medical folk, that's LOW!! She needed about 3 units of blood(a lot). I pray she gets to feeling better very soon! She needs to get home to her son and husband in Zimbabwe!

The other two ladies rounding out our fun unit are Eunice and Teresia. Eunice kind of has a special place in my heart after tonight. She is the one who was in the OR from 8-4 yesterday and had 3 of her valves jacked up! She's a sleepy girl but when she's up she makes me laugh. She loves to sing and play her flute. Tonight she hollered at me b/c she had to "make water" aka pee. So, like I always do, I stood her up then sat her back down on the bed pan...problem was, I did not have time to remove my left hand from under her rump. Yea...that was fun for everyone! Fortunately I used my brute strength to force my hand out from under her behind without getting watered on. After she made water she stood up, I removed the pan, and she sat back on the ledge of the bed. I squatted down in front of her and looked up at her and said "Eunice. Are you ok?" She wrapped her skinny arms around my neck and laid her head on my shoulder. I took that as either 1) I'm exhausted 2) I'm going to strangle you if you don't stop talking to me woman or 3) I'm not ok. I let her rest on me for a little while and put my arm around her. We sat in silence for a second then I asked if she was ok again. She looked up and she had started to cry. Now, if you know one thing about these people know they are STRONG. They do not complain, they do not cry, they are raised to persevere.  I knew she was in pain. She pointed to her chest as to say it was hurting. I gave her some medicine and told her to "lala" aka sleep in swalihi. When I left she was sound asleep. I think she felt better!

Teresia, on the other hand, is a silent comedian. She mostly uses facial expressions to communicate and is more concerned with the other patients than herself...especially Eunice. Someone told me their families waited in line at the clinic together so they became friends. If Eunice did something then Teresia had to do it, too! The Kenyan nurses said that she was always asking how her friend was. What a sweet soul!

Jahosephet(not sure how to spell it, I just call him JoJo) was our first surgery today. He is a stud! The boy was extubated in the OR and laughing! We were about to transfer him from the OR bed to the ICU bed and he turned his head and looked at me so I waved and he started laughing. I was so confused I thought he might be crying but now he was a little dopey. Forty-five minutes post up he was sitting up in bed using his party blower! He got a little less giddy later on a started snoozing. When he woke I took the chance to get him a new hat and futbol! When he saw the futbol his eyes lit up and he reached out for it! These people love the sport! They know what's up! JoJo will be up and out in no time. So cool!

They will be doing one more case tomorrow but I'll be headed out on an adventure! Pray all goes well as we will be a little short staffed. Kristen B and Rebekah (our veteran rock star nurses) will be manning the fort solo. While they stay to welcome in another group of doctors and nurses (what up Whitney and Lisa!) the rest of us will be headed to a weekend safari. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to come to Africa and NOT go on a safari. I'm excited to go explore and see somethings I only see once a year when the new Earth series movies come out in theaters on April 22. Yea, I'm a dork. I'll take more than enough pictures and make you all look at them!

Russ doing work!

The new valve!

Russ putting the valve in!
Me and Kari!

JoJo fell asleep with his soccer ball in hand, suck in mouth, and hat on head!
As excited a I am to see some Zebras I am sad to leave these people and this place. Tenwek's statement is "We treat, Jesus heals" and how true that is. Without Him none of this is possible. He brought each of these patients to us at this time for a reason. We may not understand why some things turned out the way they did but we trust Him and we find comfort in Him. I'll never forget these patients and look forward to making new friends here next year! This place will change you if you let it and I think it's safe to say we have all let it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment