Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas from the PCICU!

As much as I'd love to be home with my family for the holidays I can't help but be happy that I'm here, at work, too. I was super bummed and being all mopey like "pity me I have to work on xmas eve"...but then, I heard Santa coming. I knew it was him b/c I heard his sleigh bells. They weren't on his sleigh, he'd taken them off to come inside the PCICU. He claimed it was a health violation to bring the reindeer on the unit but I don't know if I buy it. There's a reason Santa is so fat and it's not just cuz he eats billions of cookies on christmas--he's lazy. Anyway, Santa lifted my spirits about 25%. There was still 75% to account for.

Santa made his rounds through the unit giving presents to all the boys and girls spending the evening here. Then, Santa made his final stop. My patients room. We'll call him Bubba for HIPPA purposes. I was so excited for Bubba to meet Santa! I couldn't help but think Man, he actually gets to SEE Saint Nick! what other kids can grow up to say that? awesomesauce!  

As Santa walks up to his room a crowd of co-workers gathers behind him to catch Bubba's reaction when the two see eachother. So, I draw back the curtains and there is Bubba!....asleep. Juuust snoozzzing. Now, if you know this child, you know he NEVER sleeps!! What are the odds? So the pressure was on. I had to do something! Now, this might've been a little rude but I had Santa jingle his sleigh bells real loud and within a second Bubba's eyes SHOT OPEN and scanned the room! Then he caught a glimpse of the big red man in the door and starred at him contently as if thinking "I don't see many men with white hair on their faces and red caps on their head but IIII LIKE it!!" Bub then raised his hand up slowly and waved at Santa Claus with his chubby, warm, pink hands. Santa waved back with a grin and gave him his gifts. Then, as a thank you, sweet Bubba smacked his lips together to blow the Santy Man a big fat kiss. My heart just melted. Unfortunately, S.C. missed it. So, I said "can you blow another kiss!!??". Welp, apparently not. He shook his head no and cried. You see, Bubba only has so many kisses he can give away on certain days. Today he only had one kiss reserved and it was for Santa. Sorry, man in the sleigh, but maybe next year...

Needless to say, the other 75% was not only fufilled but exceeded. I'm so blessed to know and love this miracle child. The patients here, this one in particular, are a reminder to us all to keep fighting, keep smiling, keep playing, keep loving. It's almost a new year so we can all strive to be as awesome as these little babes for 2011!

It's time to watch Frosty the Snowman. Catch you on the flipside. Merry Christmas and don't forget: Jesus is the Reason for the Season! God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment