Monday, January 3, 2011

Learning curve

According to Wikipedia "The term learning curve refers to the graphical relation between the amount of learning and the time it takes to learn." So, this would mean "time elapsed" would be charted on the X axis with "knowledge gained" on the Y axis....aka my line would be really flat _______ Only joking, kind of. I've found the more self-relfection, biblical studying, and living independently I do that the rate at which I'm acquiring knowledge has increased. It's not a huge increase, it's more of a very slow, gradual incline but, nonetheless, I'm learning. 


What am I learning? Well, mostly about congenital cardiac defects and their corrective surgeries  BUT also about relationships. For example, what it means to be loyal, faithful, selfless, respectful, honorable, generous, kind, accepting, and tolerant. I've always been the "I'd rather have 5 best friends than 100 good acquaintances" type, but now I wanna be both. The more the merrier right? People teach you things. They teach you how to love, how not to love; how to help, how not to help; how to teach, how not to teach; how to speak, how not to speak, etc. The more I know the better friend I can be. I found a verse recently that states it pretty plain and simple. The 11th book of the New Testament is a letter written to the Church of Philippi from St. Paul known as  Philippians. I really love Philippians b/c I often feel like Paul is writing directly to me. He is very encouraging and uplifting. He teaches us that we have to preach the Word through everything that we do--good or bad. We are to live a life worthy of the Gospel and it can't just be with our words but through our actions. What better way to share Christ than the way we treat people? Philippians 2:3-4 says:



"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others." 


I'm finding the more I grow in the knowledge of God the more I desire to be more like Him. Now I just need to do it. I suppose, with this new year, this can be my resolution. I need to see that incline steepen(is that a word?) Along with attempting to train for the music city half marathon...but we'll just see about that one. 

Anyway, the holidays are over and it's time to get back to the grind. Oddly enough, I'm excited to get back to work. I miss my little patient and the good people that I work with. I also just like that feeling of working real hard and deserving the couple days off. I hope that all two of you who read this have a blessed week and know that I pray for you always! 


1 comment:

  1. dunno why the verse didnt post..it's "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others."

    ReplyDelete